It’s an open secret that ladders are not exactly best friends with gutters -leaning a ladder against your gutter often damages it especially if you’re quite heavy.
Yet, a ladder is a necessary evil and the easiest way to access the gutters for cleaning or maintenance jobs.
Now, rather than risk crushing your gutters (and a hefty repair bill aftermath), you should use available ladder attachments to protect gutters. Most of these attachments also help stabilize your ladder so you’ll be safer when perched up there.
Find them below:
Ladder attachments to protect gutters – 3 fantastic devices to choose from
Okay, your ladder may be presumably lightweight but for most homeowners, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
In fact, most professionals recommend the use of some form of gutter protection to keep the gutters from warping, sagging, or suffering scratches because of the pressure from ladders combined with your weight.
Consider these options if you’d prefer to take the attachment route to protect gutters while mounting your ladder and/or climbing it to the roof:
Ladder-Max Stand-Off Stabilizer – best professional grade attachment
This Ladder-Max standoff is extremely useful when climbing an extension ladder.
As the name suggests, it helps you stay as far away from the wall (and gutters) as possible when cleaning windows or performing planned repairs.
Indeed, it provides a 19″ standoff distance from gutters, roofs, and walls. Not only that: the arms reach about 36″ (from tip to tip) so you’ll feel more stable working from this not to mention that you can reach farther safely.
You also work in a more natural, unstrained position with this setup.
And while it appears simple- the idea is to make it super easy to mount and remove- this OSHA-compliant lifesaver is sturdily engineered with rugged, durable, corrosion-resistant galvanized steel.
You’ll understand why this is one of the best-selling ladder attachments to protect gutters.
- Attaches in seconds.
- Sturdy, slip-resistant steps
- Super heavy-duty construction.
- A bit costly.
See also: Pool ladder for heavy person -supports up to 400 lbs
Ladder’s Little Helper
Protect your delicate gutters, roofing, and siding with this little but magical ladder attachment and avoid potential liability issues when you’re checking damaged shingles or tiles or unblocking downspouts.
To prevent scratching or bending your gutter, you fix this gutter ladder protector on your gutters (it grips onto the gutter) before leaning the ladder on it.
The attachment will disperse the pressure (and the combined weight of the ladder and the user) to a wider area, effectively preventing damage to the gutter.
Another upside of using this is that it helps block the sideways movement of the ladder meaning a much safer working platform for yourself and your assistants.
It’s made of polypropylene making it strong yet perfectly lightweight for easy handling.
Overall, this is a more pocket-friendly attachment to the ladder standoff stabilizer.
- Easy to install.
- Has a handy tie-off eyelet to help you secure the ladder firmly.
- Fits nearly all gutters.
- Rests on the gutters directly.
Roofers Mount Ladder Mount gutter docking station
Attach this friendly gutter docking station to your ladder and climb without worrying about cracking, denting, or even flattening your gutters.
Unlike the little helper ladder gutter guard, this actually supports the weight of your ladder against the fascia and NOT the gutter. The pressure is, therefore, eliminated from the gutters completely.
It fits inside 5-inch and 6-inch gutters easily – simply use your broom handle or an extension pole to position the ladder mount inside the gutter before you climb. There’s rubber on the attachment to help grip the ladder so it won’t slide to the sides.
The ladder balances nicely too as the weight of the ladder (with you on it) pushes the docking station into the back of the gutters, forming a solid rest. It’s really an amazing innovation.
- Works well.
- Keeps a ladder from slipping sideways.
- Fits into and lifts out of gutters with little effort.
- You can only use it for 5” and 6” gutters.
See also: Using a 3 section combination ladder on stairs effectively
Ladder attachments to protect gutters- buying guide
Chances are you feel a bit lost about the best device to pick out of the three devices we have recommended.
Well, we hate to tell you this but it must be said: these products do not offer equal protection to gutters nor do they suit all types of gutters. If they did, it would have been a simple question of looking at straightforward factors like pricing.
But now you need to think about a whole lot of things. Here are the major ones to consider:
What gutters and ladders will the product work well with?
A fundamental question for every homeowner and tradesperson is if an attachment will work with your specific gutters and ladder type.
Keep these points in mind to avoid buying an attachment that you’ll never use:
- The Ladder-Max Stand-Off Stabilizer- This clearly carries the day when it comes to versatility. It protects all gutters and is compatible with all leading types of ladder- extension (aluminum, wood, and fiberglass), articulating (Howard, Louisville, Gorilla, Green Bull Little Giant,) and even a variety of DIY ladders.
- Roofers Mount gutter docking station- As mentioned earlier, this works for any 5”/ 6” gutters. The good news is that it’s not limited to any type of ladder-it secures practically any ladder safely including step ladders.
- Ladder’s Little Helper- Almost all ladders fit. That said, the maximum width of your extension ladders must be 19” (or less) for the best results.
Check the engineering and what the ladder attachments to protect gutters are made of
Another important item to compare is the overall construction.
Now, there are significant differences among the three units that you should be aware of before making your final decision:
- Ladder-Max Stand-Off Stabilizer- The stand-off is structurally built from beefy steel and the stabilizing arms withstand any weight while offering maximum support to the person working on the ladder.
- Roofers Mount gutter docking station- The mount is made of high-quality, solid plastic material making it sturdy yet lightweight. This engineering holds your ladder steady while protecting the gutter.
- Ladder’s Little Helper- The manufacturer prefers Polypropylene material because of its lighter nature (for easier fixing and removal) but it makes the unit less sturdy.
Ease of use
There is one more consideration to be careful about when shopping for something to save your gutters: ease of use.
The good thing is that most manufacturers have upped their game and the ladder attachments in the market these days are pretty friendly to crews. For instance, you can mount and uninstall the Ladder-Max without using a single tool.
Similarly, you can fit the Roofers Mount ladder stabilizer inside a standard gutter easily using a pole. The Little Ladder Helper is easy to place on your gutters, move, and take down too.
Whether you’re cleaning clogged gutters, hanging Christmas lights, painting your house, or performing your yearly maintenance tasks, any of the above attachments will save your gutters from ladders.
They will also go a long way in ensuring your peace of mind because they enhance the stability and balance of your ladder when you’re up there.
So, make your move and pick the most suitable device for your needs.
Your gutters will thank you!
Health and Safety Authority (HSA): Using Ladders Safely
The Ladder Association: Safe Use of Ladders and Stepladders