An ozone generator is a device that produces ozone as it purifies the air.
It uses electrically-charged oxygen molecules to break down the other particles in the air, such as those from cigarette smoke or pet dander. An ozone generator is also be used for water treatment and disinfection purposes, which is why it is becoming more popular in households worldwide.
This blog post will discuss how to use ozone generator in home.
What Is an Ozone Generator?
An ozone generator is a device that emits high ozone levels, which quickly oxidizes odors, germs and other harmful particles in the air.
Some of the most common uses for an ozone generator include:
- Producing freshwater by breaking down impurities into smaller particles that are easy for algae to feed on
- Reducing smoke smells after a wildfire or wood-burning fire
- Purifying the air in your car
Different Types of Ozone Generators
There are two main types of ozone generators: Contact and Corona discharge.
Contact ozone generators use titanium dioxide to produce ozone molecules when it comes in contact with ultraviolet light or an electrical charge.
Corona discharge technology uses a high-energy field to create a spark that splits oxygen molecules into ozone and oxygen.
How to Use Ozone Generator in Home
Now that you know what an ozone generator is and the different types available, let’s discuss how to use one in your home.
- The first thing you need to do is determine the size of the ozone generator you will need. You can do this by measuring the square footage of the area you want to purify. Once you have that number, you can use this ozone generator sizing chart to find the right one for your needs.
- Once you have determined which ozone generator is right for you, you can read the instruction manual and decide where to place it in the room. Ozone generators should be placed in a central location, such as a living or dining area, so you get the best results from using them.
- You will also need to keep your ozone generator clean and maintain it regularly for optimal use. It is recommended that you clean it with a damp cloth once per month and replace the air filters every two months.
An ozone generator will help rid your home of odors, allergens, and other harmful particles that could affect you or your family.
Read Also: Generator hard to pull start: what to do
Benefits of Using an Ozone Generator in Your Home
- Removes odors, smoke, and other harmful particles from the air.
- Reduces or eliminates pet and smoke smells in just a few minutes.
- Can be used in the water to reduce algae and bacteria for healthier drinking water.
- Can potentially reduce allergens such as dust mites, pollen, mold spores, and pet dander for allergy sufferers.
Required Precautionary Measures While Using Ozone Generator
- Do not allow children or pets to stand near the unit while on
- Make sure to unplug the ozone generator before you clean it
- If your skin comes in contact with ozone, rinse the affected area with water and soap for at least 15 minutes
- Keep the ozone generator in a central location in the room for best results
- Replace air filters every two months for optimal performance
- Clean the unit with a damp cloth once per month.
Common Misconceptions About Ozone Generators
- “Ozone generators emit harmful chemicals into the air.” – This is not true. Ozone generators are safe for household use.
- “Ozone generators are dangerous to my health.” – If an ozone generator is used according to the instructions, it poses no risk to your health or well-being.
- “I can’t use an ozone generator because I have asthma.” – Ozone generators are safe for people living with asthma to use. They can help to reduce allergens in the air.
- “I don’t need an ozone generator because I have a vacuum with a Hepa filter.” – A vacuum with a Hepa filter will only remove large particles from the air. An ozone generator will remove smaller particles, allergens, and odors.
- “The ozone from an ozone generator will linger in my home for days.” – Ozone dissipates quickly and does not linger in the air for long periods.
Ozone generators are a great way to improve the air quality in your home, but it is essential to know how to use one safely and adequately. By keeping the unit clean and in a central location, you will enjoy cleaner air that smells great.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should You Use an Ozone Generator?
Ozone generators can be used as needed based on the number of odors, allergens, and particles in your home. It is recommended to run an ozone generator for a few minutes after you move into a new home if someone smokes in your home or pets are present.
Where Should I Place the Ozone Generator in My Home for the Best Results?
Ozone generators should be placed in a central location, such as a living or dining area. This will provide the best results. If there are no central locations in your home, you should place them near the source of odors and particles to get the best results.
How Long Do I Have to Run an Ozone Generator?
It is recommended that you run the unit for approximately 2-3 hours in a large room, 8-10 hours in medium-sized rooms, and 12-14 hours in a small-sized room.
How Often Should I Replace the Filters On My Ozone Generator?
It is recommended that you change the air filters every two months for optimal performance of your ozone generator.
Is an Ozone Generator a Worthy Investment for Your Home?
To summarize, ozone generators are a great way to improve the air quality in your home.
If you have allergies, pets, or any other reason you need to use an Ozonator, follow the instructions from Clean Water Ozone, and you will enjoy cleaner air that smells great. If you enjoyed this article, please share it with your friends.
Read: Best way to flash a generator with a battery
References and Citations:
United States Environmental Protection Agency(EPA): Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners- https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners