Generac generators are popular for homeowners who live in areas with frequent power outages.
Generators can be an excellent investment if you want to protect your home and family from the dangers of living without electricity hence the need for right battery for generac generator at standby.
However, you must choose the best battery for generac generator before installing it. Choosing the wrong battery could result in costly mistakes and even dangerous situations that put your health at risk.
In this blog post, we will discuss what types of batteries work best with generac generators and how to determine which one is best for you.
Top 3 Best Battery for Generac Generator
1. Generac 5819 Model 26R Wet Cell Battery For All Air-cooled Standby Generators, 12 Volts DC, 525 Cold Cranking Amps
The Generac 5819 Model 26R Wet Cell Battery is a popular choice for homeowners who own an air-cooled standby generator.
This battery is designed to provide 525 cold-cranking amps and is perfect for use with generators with a 12-volt DC system. It is also important to note that this battery is not compatible with generators with a 6-volt system.
If you are unsure whether or not your generator has a 12-volt system, please consult the owner’s manual or contact the manufacturer.
Related Read: How to keep generac generator battery charged
- This battery is designed to provide 525 cold-cranking amps
- One-year warranty covering parts and labour for your convenience
- Not compatible with generators with a six-volt system.
2. Mighty Max Battery 12V 18AH SLA Battery for Generac 7500 EXL Portable Generator Brand Product
The Mighty Max Battery 12V 18AH SLA Battery is a popular choice for homeowners who own the Generac 7500 EXL Portable Generator.
More specifically, this battery is used when the portable generator is in standby mode to provide continuous power when the generator is not in use.
This battery has a 12-volt lead-acid design that allows for long life cycles and can withstand high discharge rates with high reliability.
It also comes with an MK battery terminal that is easy to install and offers reliable performance.
- Has a 12-volt lead-acid design that offers long life cycles and can withstand high discharge rates.
- Includes an MK battery terminal that makes installation easy and provides reliability.
- Not compatible with generators with a six-volt system.
3. Interstate Batteries Generac Generator Replacement Battery 0G9449 1/4″ Nut and Bolt Terminals – 12V 9AH 36W
This Interstate Batteries Generac Generator Replacement Battery is a 12-volt, 9AH battery perfect for use with generators with a 36-watt system.
It is also important to note that this battery is not compatible with generators with a 6-volt system. If you are unsure whether or not your generator has a 36-watt system, please consult the owner’s manual or contact the manufacturer.
The Interstate Batteries Generac Generator Replacement Battery comes with 1/4″ nut and bolt terminals for easy installation.
Also Read: Resetting yellow light on generac generator
- Designed to provide 9AH of power
- Comes with 1/4″ nut bolt terminals for easy installation
- Not compatible with generators with a six-volt system
How to Choose the Best Batteries for Generac Generators
When it comes to choosing the best battery for your generac generator, there are a few things you will need to consider.
1. The Type of Battery
There are a few different types of batteries that can be used with generac generators, including wet cell, AGM, and gel cell.
2. The Amount of Power
How much power will you need your battery to be able to handle? Remember, a wet cell or gel cell battery does not have the same cranking amps as an AGM or other sealed lead-acid batteries do.
3. Battery Warranty
The best option is always to choose a replacement battery that comes with a warranty. This way, if there are any problems with the battery, you can have it replaced without having to pay for it out of your pocket.
4. Battery Compatibility
Not all batteries are compatible with every generac generator. Make sure to double-check that the battery you choose is compatible with your specific generator model.
5. Battery Installation
How easy will the battery be to install? Some batteries come with already attached terminals, while others require you to attach them yourself. Choose a battery that is easy for you to install.
6. Battery Price
Not all batteries are created equal. Choose a battery that is affordable for you without sacrificing quality.
How to Properly Maintain the Battery for Generac Generator
Once you have chosen the best battery for your generac generator, it is essential to maintain it properly.
- Clean the battery terminals regularly: This will help ensure good contact between the battery and the generator.
- Avoid exposing the battery to extreme temperatures: Keep your battery in a cool, dry place when not in use.
- Do not overcharge the battery: This can damage the battery and reduce its lifespan.
- Check the water level in wet cell batteries regularly: Add distilled water as needed to keep the water level between the minimum and maximum lines on the battery acid container.
- Replace the battery if it is damaged or leaking: A damaged or leaking battery can cause damage to your generator.
How Often Do You Need to Replace the Generac Generator Batteries
When it comes time for you to replace your generac generator’s batteries, there are a few things that you will want to keep in mind:
- The age of the old and new batteries: It is generally recommended that you replace your battery every two to three years.
- The type of batteries: Not all batteries are created equal – some last longer than others.
- Battery usage: If the generator is used more often, the batteries will need to be replaced more frequently.
- Storage: If the generator is not going to be used for long periods, storing the batteries with a 40 percent charge level is recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions on Generac Generator Battery
What Battery is Recommended for a Generac Generator?
The best battery for a Generac generator is an AGM or other sealed lead acid battery. These batteries have the highest cranking amps and are designed to handle repeated deep discharge cycles.
Can Any Battery be Used in a Generac Generator?
While any battery can be used in a Generac generator, some batteries perform better than others. Wet cell and gel cell batteries do not have the same cranking amps as AGM or other sealed lead-acid batteries.
How Much Does a Generac Generator Battery Cost?
Generac generator batteries typically cost between $50 and $150, depending on the type of battery and the size of the battery.
What is The Life Expectancy of a Generac Generator Battery?
The life expectancy of a Generac generator battery varies depending on the type of battery and how the battery is used. Wet cell and gel cell batteries typically last between three and five years, while AGM and other sealed lead acid batteries typically last six to eight years.
Should You Buy a Generac Generator Battery?
If you need a battery for your Generac generator, it’s to know the type of battery that is best suited for your needs. Wet cell and gel cell batteries do not have as much power as AGM or other sealed lead-acid batteries, but they tend to be less expensive, making them more suitable in some situations.
Check out our website for more information If you are unsure what kind of battery would work best with your Generac generator.
If you enjoyed reading leave a comment and share.